Thursday, March 18, 2010

First hands on day

I know it sounds weird, but today was our first hands on day with baby Christopher. We got to do pretty much everything. We are learning how to feed him through his feeding tube, (which goes in his nose, down his throat, and to his stomach), in case he goes home on it. He has been on ventilators, IV's, and feeding tubes for so long he has forgotten how to eat somewhat. Robert had to put his feeding tube down his throat, so we know how in case he pulls it out, and I'll probably have to do it tomorrow. The nurses are teaching us how to give meds properly. It is all very intimidating. We are still tentatively going home this weekend, but we won't be surprised if we end up spending a couple more days here just to be safe. I'll try to get some more good pictures up on here.

We really appreciate all the things people have done for us. I'm sure I'll never even know about half of them, and I wish I could do something to repay everyone. It means so much to us to know there are people out there who are so giving. Continue to pray for little man, as he is going to have it rough for awhile. Keep us in your prayers too. We need some extra wisdom and strength. Much love,
The Wirts

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck. I would be so scared to put the feeding tube in. I know how you feel about all the medication, when we bought Sophie home from the hospital she had so many different things that she had to take. So I got online and typed out every day on a calender so I could just print it out. It helped ALOT. You guys are going to pros in the medical field after this, you should become a nurse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Joel...I just wanted to let you know I love you all, and you are in my heart. Rach, I love you and miss you very much, and I just want you to stay strong and keep kicking @$$. You too Rob. You both are awesome. Tell little Christopher I love him too, and can't wait to meet him, and that he is amazing. Truly he is...a miracle.

    Love you again

    -J

    ReplyDelete