Monday, November 15, 2010

Scriptures and Quotes

I hope you have all been reading and enjoying my scriptures and quotes section of the blog. I usually put a couple of new scriptures on it a week (if I've been reading my scriptures that is....). I hate to say it, but more often than not, my scripture study is usually me trying to remember a scripture I heard once...then trying to flip through and find it. Then, usually when I find it, I've remembered it totally wrong, and when I read it how the original author wrote it, it's like a slap in the face! Sheesh, no wonder these things get messed up like a child's game of telephone, only let's pretend it's in a foreign language.

The point here is, if you've ever had a favorite book over 500 pages long, there is a good chance you might forget things here and there, even if you just read it (unless you're my brother Paul). A key part of the plot, an event, a character, all of which are highly important if we are to understand the book. Even the slightest variant in any of these things can have catastrophic consequences. Therefore, (said in a very ominous and foreboding voice or maybe just gentle and firm) "Thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." Deuternonmy 6: 7 "And he shall read therein all the days of his life..." Deuteronomy 17: 19


So, I know all of you highly religious readers are just begging for more verses, so you'll enjoy this post. I was reading in Matthew today, when came across a familiar scripture. I have read Matthew a few times and remember most significant scriptures at least halfway. I know this scripture well but it was different for me today. So, all you scripture scouts, get out your New Testaments! Granted I could go on about the chapter before this and the chapter after this forever, as it is the Sermon on the Mount, but I'm trying to reign in my ADD (no offense to anyone who may really have it).

For this particular post, let us just go to Matthew 5: 38 and for all of you who don't know where your scriptures are..... " 38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, that ye resist not evil: but whosoever smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. 43 Ye have heard it hath been said, Though shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you , and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do you more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefor perfect, even as you Father which is in heaven is perfect."

I tried to see if I could paraphrase or edit some versus to help the length, but all those versus need to be there and need to be read together. One part that really hit me, that I'm sure I never noticed before was, "resist not evil". WOW!!! I thought that was the whole point! What an eye opening scripture about understanding the evil in the world. I also was clearly not using my spiritual ears before. I know that the verse "turn the other cheek" can be taken very literally and usually is. But what about spiritually. Some days I definitely feel like my spirit has taken a metaphorical beating. But the Lord knows just what to do! I marvel at how simple what we are asked to do really is, but how monumentally difficult it seems. Good thing he is always only a prayer away to help!!!!!! I know Heavenly Father knows my heart, and knew that even though I was flipping around the New Testament not paying attention to much, eventually I would see the verses, today, and boy did I need to. I have had a hard few days, but I know a few things for sure:

Heavenly Father loves me, and Heavenly Father will help me. When I read these versus, it reminds me that even when I have something set in front of me that seems extremely difficult, all I have to do is ask for His help and follow His commandments.

I have so much more to say but it is already past midnight. I try to stay moderately safe in most of my posts, but like I've said before, this is my blog, if you don't like it, don't read it and go make your own. But I sure do appreciate the encouraging words I have received. Sometimes I just like to write what I'm thinking instead of an update. Love to all and keep these scriptures in mind when everyone is cutting in line or shutting a door right in your face, or going before they should at the 4 way stop or making up nasty things about you at work or...you get the idea. Hugs, blessings and good karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment