Monday, November 8, 2010

Missin' the good ol' days...

This is a different kind of post today. I know many people use their blogs to keep relatives up to date with their lives. Others, perhaps, use it as a sort of online journal. I think I tend to use it as both, though only I ever know what I'm really thinking. :) Today, though, I wanted to share what my thoughts were with you. They are not deep, nor are they stirring, just thoughts.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I find myself once again far away from home. I have my own home now. But wherever my parents are, will also always be my home (much to their joy or dismay). I have many in-laws in the area with whom I have made new memories. But, I still often think back and miss home.

More specifically, I miss Thanksgiving with my family. And now for a trip down memory lane. I will try not to sound like a butter up or be too poetic.

I can't remember missing a Thanksgiving with my family up until I was 17 or 18. We would travel to my Granny and Poppy's house darn near every year. My Poppy would always carve the turkey, and my Granny would always get out the good china. She would make all sorts of goodies for us to eat off the good china. Sometimes the "kiddos" would get to sit at a card table. But sometimes we would get to sit at the grown-ups table. I do miss so many things about those Thanksgivings. I miss my Granny's mandarin orange jello. I miss mashed potatoes and gravy. I just miss all of us being there together to share a home cooked meal. Surprisingly, I don't remember anyone fighting (though it might be because I was a kid). Everyone helped, if they didn't cook, they cleaned up. No one really ever complained. Hopefully these are accurate memories, and not too sugar-coated.

Whilst I was thinking about these things, it got me to really missing my Granny and Poppy. I wonder if they know how much I miss them. I wonder if they think about me as much as I think about them. Well sheesh, of course they do, they're grandparents!!!! So once again we travel down the lane of my childhood, and while many folks won't really get this post, I wanted to write it anyway.

Granny and Poppy: two people whose laughs always make me smile. Though I never quite got their humor until recently, I didn't really care because if they were laughing, I was laughing. Anyone who knows how much of a wet blanket I can be, can appreciate the fact that Granny and Poppy always make me smile.

I miss all their habits, like going to Pappy Ganders for breakfast, or going to get the newspaper and check the PO box. I miss Poppy salting up a huge turnip and just eating it like an apple. I miss Granny correcting my bad grammar, or teaching me something in Spanish. I miss Poppy surfing the channels on the tv or reading the paper, while Granny knitted some new wonderful creation. I miss them doing those things while sitting in their appropriate chairs. I miss all the funny magazines. You really can learn a lot if you have some National Geographic's laying around. I miss lazy days at the lookout.

I miss playing in the basement, although I don't think Granny or Poppy ever really liked us to play down there. I miss playing war in the lilac bushes, and going for walks to the playground at the school. I miss Granny playing the piano or the organ and singing some hymn or show tune and filling their house with music. I miss the records they listened to. I even miss bagpipes. I miss going to Polar Bear for ice cream. I miss picking up apples, and eating the dehydrated ones. I miss how neither one of them really likes to drag out goodbyes because they get a little misty eyed, even though I'm sure they wanted to ring our necks a time or two per visit. I miss all their great stories from their lives (good thing Granny wrote some books).

Most of all, I miss their wisdom. I miss listening to their logic. They really do know a thing or two. I miss how with every conversation they had with me, they unknowingly encouraged me to think and learn. They are two of my biggest heroes. They are gentle, kind, loving, generous, intelligent and best of all, they are mine.

I think folks should say what they are thinking (within reason) instead of keeping it to themselves (once again, use discretion here).

I love my Granny and Poppy and hopefully they know it, because Lord knows I don't say it enough. I really do need and I mean NEED to come down to your house and eat some orange sherbet, and talk government or finances or something very soon. Hopefully you will be up for a visit from all my boys and me. I'm sure you can handle it, you handled me! Love you a ton Granny and Poppy.

Your Granddaughter,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment