Friday, July 9, 2010

Inquiring minds want to know......










I just thought I would post this now, since I know I will be asked in the upcoming days, what is exactly done during Chris' surgery.
I posted a diagram of a healthy heart and one of Chris' heart pre-op, so you can all see the very underdeveloped left side components. On the diagram of the HLHS heart you will notice the PDA which is the only way Chris' body was getting blood at birth. This is a ductus which typically closes during the first hours or days of life, which is why you will not see it on the healthy heart.
Now that Chris has had the Norwood procedure his body is getting oxygen rich blood via the Sano shunt. This is the shunt that was put in so that Chris would be able to be taken off medications that kept his PDA open. This shunt ultimately does what the PDA did without the use of medication. The workload on the heart is still double that of a healthy heart.
During the Glenn Procedure, the Sano shunt will be removed, and the blood to the body will be redirected through the Pulmonary, removing about 50% of the workload. After this surgery Chris should be able to put on more weight and function fairly normally without tiring as easily
After the Fontan, (3rd surgery, between 18 months and 5 years) the right ventricle will pump only oxygen rich blood to the body, and the pulmonary (with the help of a new shunt) will essentially bi-pass the heart completely, keeping a steady flow of oxygen deprived blood going directly to the lungs.
Hopefully I did okay describing that, it is fairly confusing, I know. The way I normally describe it is, his heart is broken and has to be jimmy-rigged to work right (not to be too light-hearted no pun intended).
So he has a hard road ahead, but I hope we can raise him so that he doesn't feel different than any other kid. My goal is, since he won't know how it feels to have a fully healthy heart, that he won't feel deprived or like he's been cheated, but to be thankful everyday, and be able to have a normal childhood and adulthood. ( I hope the same for my other children too.) His heart defect is the norm for him... even if it's been a roller coaster for us. Besides, he will always have Uncle Luke to relate to and talk to about his defect. I know they will be close. I love you all, and am grateful for all your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment