Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fixed post and signing...

I was informed that the videos were not coming through on the last post.  It's probably because I tried to upload them all at once.  Forgive me, it seemed faster at the time.  I suppose I will do it one at a time from now on.  Hope they are working now.  There are some really classic videos in the mix.

I was talking to my Pediatrician at Chris's 2 yr well child check, and she was really amazed at how many words he can say, and that he puts 4 or 5 word sentences together.  I informed her that he is just that awesome and how could she expect less?  Just kidding. I let her know that I started signing with Chris when he was a little under 1 yr old.  I did this for purely selfish reasons, remembering how frustrated Tyler used to get at that age, with my lack of understanding what he was trying to tell me.  I wanted to minimize that frustration as much as possible.

Here is a video of Chris a month or so after he started signing.  He is quite the talker now.  I'll take a vid of that!  :]


He rarely signs anymore, probably because I only knew so many before I started running out of signs to teach him!  Now he just talks and talks and talks.  He still remembers the signs, he just uses the word now instead.

ps in this vid, I ask him the sign for 'drink', he promptly does it, and I am totally oblivious to it!  lol  He also does his own variation of dog, which I totally miss, because I'm waiting for him to do the sign the way I taught him.  But little kids will do their own easier variation first and then work toward the 'real' sign.

I remember teaching him:  eat, drink, more, juice, milk, apple, banana, pear, berry, watermelon, water, orange, cracker, sandwich, diaper, dog, cat, bird, horse, fish, bath, please, thank-you.  There are more, but I just quizzed myself and these are the only ones I can remember.  I bet if I asked him, he'd know way more. I highly recommend signing.  Just like anything else, you need to be patient.  The first 2 or 3 signs he learned took awhile, and I was started to get frustrated signing to myself.  Once he got them though, he picked up the others in a matter of minutes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment